Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Is this not the cutest apron! Late September 2016

 
One of the ladies on our daily walks said she had 'just the thing' for me. Her mother use to make and sell these aprons. Kathy had this one and thought it would go so well with my 'butterfly garden'. I agree!

 
And now I give you Monarch #2. This is a male. See the 2 dots on each side of this abdomen? Those are his scent glands. I took all 3 outdoors at the same time. Females #1 and #3 flew right off. This little guy just wasn't ready. Then I notice his proboscis was not quite working. So thanks to Mona Miller and the video highlighted in blue I was able to work with this little guy. After unfurling the proboscis I feed him raw organic honey and water. I put him back in this cage, indoors and kept him overnight.  The next day I offered him more of the homemade nectar. When he drank his fill, he was so ready to head south~and he did. *smile*

                    I  still have more....only the beginning! 

3 comments:

Margarets designer cards said...

Well done on your first batch of butterflies released to the world I hope they make it.

Nancy G said...

I do too Margaret! At lease I gave it a better change of life then it
being left outdoors. There is 90% survival rate hatching indoors!

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Congratulations, Nancy. I've so enjoyed watching your cats grow to maturity. It's been a learning experience for me. Perfect apron!